KENT DENVER SCHOOL
Excellence in scholarship and character
4000 East Quincy Avenue
Englewood, CO 80113-4916
Kent Denver Speech & Debate
16th Annual Berkeley California Trip
This year, the Kent Denver Speech and Debate Team will travel to Berkeley California to compete in the California Invitational Speech and Debate Tournament hosted at the University of California, Berkeley. Conducted over the President’s Day Weekend (February 17TH-21ST) all students will be exposed to national caliber cheap nfl jerseys competition on the UC BERKELEY campus. This is the 16th year that Kent Denver has attended this National Circuit tournament, and it is the largest tournament open to our competitors this season. Important travel and logistics information is presented below.
The Kent Denver Speech and Debate Team permits students to travel to out-of-state destinations only after they have demonstrated a notable commitment to the activity through regular practice and competition. These standards are in place to better ensure that students are prepared for the high level of competition that they will encounter at the California oakley outlet Invitational. To this end, students must compete at two, second semester tournaments to be eligible to attend the California Invitational Tournament, and must regularly attend 1 hour of practice through the date of departure. Thus, students should carefully examine the competition schedule to ensure they can meet this requirement before committing to this trip. Under very specific conditions when it is logistically impossible for a deeply committed student to meet these eligibility requirements, he/she must formally meet with the coaches to explain the situation and discuss whether ray ban outlet a special exemption can be granted. This must be done before deposits are due.
Securing a Position on this Trip
If your son and/or daughter would like to compete in this tournament, will meet the above eligibility requirements, and you grant them permission to attend, we must receive his/her entry no later than Thursday, December 15th. Required with this entry is a $50 trip deposit to hold airline tickets and the signed student and parent permission form (attached). Checks must be made out to “Kent Denver School,” and please write “Berkeley” in the memo line. They must also turn in the three permission forms signed by the student and the parents by this date. Those forms are attached as well.
Thank you for your support of Kent Denver Speech and Debate.
- Competition begins on Saturday, February 18TH at 8:00am and continues through early evening on Monday, February 20th. All competition rounds are held on the University of California, Berkeley campus.
- We anticipate the following airline reservations:
Southwest flying from Denver to Oakland non-stop:
- Buses will depart Kent Denver School on Friday, February 17th at 5:30am to transport students to DIA for the following flight:
- Flight #1376; Friday, Feb 17th, 8:30am from DIA and arrive in Oakland at 10:10am.
- Students must sign up for the bus ahead of time so we have an accurate count of how many students we are transporting to DIA
- Students may meet us at DIA at 6:40am
- Flight #713; Tuesday, Feb 21st, 8:10am from Oakland and arrive in Denver 11:35am
- Buses will be available to return students to Kent Denver upon our return.
- Airline Travel Logistics
- Students are permitted 1 carry-on item and/or 1 checked item and one personal item provided that it meets airline guidelines for carry-on luggage.
- Our trip requires 4 nights lodging.
- For all nights, we will be staying:
Sheraton Four Points
1603 Powell Street
Emeryville, CA 94608
A hot breakfast is being provided at the hotel from 6am to 10am each day for all Kent Denver Students
- We have stayed in this area for 14 years; it is both convenient (approximately 7 miles from campus) and safe. There are a plethora of restaurants walking distance from the hotel.
- Students pay for their own meals and entertainments for the four days. We usually recommend students bring between $35 – $50 a day for meals depending on how much your students eat.
- Complimentary Hot Breakfast is being provided at the hotel on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday morning.
- Accompanying the students on this trip are:
- Eddie Young (Coach): Cell phone (303-506-8422)
- Jennifer Woodley (Coach): Cell phone (303-880-2238)
- Forrest Sayrs (Coach): Cell Phone (303-881-4607)
- Mike Bausch (Coach): Cell Phone: 208-871-4486
- Jeff Joseph (Coach): Cell phone: (720) 273-4647
- Nate Graziano (Coach): Cell phone: 970-412-9186
- 3 days of competition clothing (professional business attire)
- Clothing for after competition (jeans, t-shirt, etc) and travel clothes (clothes for day in SF)
- Clothing for students to take advantage of the hotel pool/workout facilities
- Rain coat and/or umbrella as well as rain boots / shoes for rainy days
Final Costs and Payment
- The final costs associated with the 2017 trip covering airfare, ground transportation, and hotel for 4 nights is gong to be $625. Cost depends on how many students are traveling. Please remit the remaining balance no later than Friday, February 5th. Please make checks payable to “Kent Denver School” and put “Berkeley” in the memo line.
- We have a policy that cost should not be a reason that a student should not attend the tournament. Please contact Terry Rubin, prior to the time deposits are due, if you have questions about financial aid for the trip if you desire to go and cost is the only factor keeping you from attending.
If you have any questions regarding this trip, please do not hesitate to contact Terry Rubin (W: 303-770-7660 x234; C: 303-549-8352; firstname.lastname@example.org).
Director of Speech and Debate
Head Debate Coach